Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Burda 7276 View A. Size 18. A Simple Jacket

Here is a project I finished earlier this year that I probably lost my files on, so I will put it here.

I liked the simplicity of this jacket and as I had some pewter front closures that I couldn't find something to put them on, I finally found a jacket that would work with that idea.
I also had some leftover black heavy weight linen to make use of as well.  The linen was a bit course, but it worked, plus this project didn't need to be lined either, which made it a quick project to finish.

Although I find Burda facings at the neck and shoulder area drafted differently than others, I think it is a bit hard to work with but not impossible.

I also decided that I would make view A with decorative pocket flaps from view B.  I don't always like patch pockets like in view A.  As well, I also cut 2 pieces of pocket flaps for lining in a blue brocade because I think it is better if I line pockets, it makes them look better.

So, here are my supplies that I used:

  1. Heavy weight 100% linen fashion fabric needed for Jacket view A
  2. 2-12mm pewter buttons. I used this size because it was what I had
  3. 1-Elan brand pewter front clasp.
  4. Lining fabric brocade for pocket lining
  5. Black sew-in interfacing
So far, these pictures are what I have


Made view A with some of B




Front view.  The darts in the front seemed big as they were
drafted.  Trim them down if need be.




Back view with the pleats.  I am a sucker for peplums!






Front clasp.  I used upholstery thread to hand sew it. 
Buttonhole thread will work as well.


12 mm button on pocket




Brocade lining.  Not much is needed.


Since this jacket was so simple, I don't have welt pockets here and I did not want to change my pattern to put them in there just so I could have a pocket. If I did do that, I would have to line this jacket.  Decoration was enough this time around.
But I just thought I could use a nice casual/formal jacket for dinners and such and such.

Not too much fancy work with this, but I must say that linen is one of the most easiest fabrics to work with.

Until next posting...

No comments:

Post a Comment