Thursday, January 31, 2013

Silk black fabric belt-Evening accessory must haves


I love accessories just as much as any girl out there.  The thing is is that I am constantly getting inspiration from various stores and websites, the problem is is that I am not always happy with some concepts

  1. Cheap price usually reflects lesser quality
  2. Materials are always the same from company to company as with style options
  3. Certain fabrics used by companies make excuses to over charge insanely.

What happens if we go against the grain and make stuff ourselves out of materials we choose?
Well, you have to be aware that some materials work and some do not.

When making a belt, as a DIY person, I know I am limited for now.  What I mean is, I can't sew with really thick leather hide and so I must choose other options.  Silk tends to be a nice belt material option here.  Now, I have to choose the right type of silk.

  1. Silk Taffeta
  2. Thai silk
  3. Shantung
  4. Silk Faille(expensive and not too readily available everywhere) 
These types are non stretchy, crisp plain weave types. The faille actually has a ribbed texture.  Now we need the right interfacing.

  1. Stiff woven fusible....most likely
  2. Maybe....buckram...I don't know...mmm...no XXXXX won't be able to tie the belt nicely.

Remember, this is a fabric belt, not a jewel one and, since this is a black belt for evening wear, it would be great to use a contrasting thread that would look good with any outfit.  No, I would not be crazy and stitch a top stitch detail with an ugly orange or even scarier fushia!  I can't perform fashion suicide that way!
AND BELIEVE ME...NO ANIMAL PRINTS FOR MYSELF...UGH!!! (Not my cup of tea) No offense to anyone, I know how popular they are with...except me.

The next thing I need to do is measure how long a belt I want it to be.  I have figured it should be 150 cm  tops.  This would allow for a tie in the front with a fancy jewel stuck to your waist line and such.

I also need to consider whether the ends of the belt is pointed or squared.  To be honest, having a pointed end is far more easier to turn out than a squared one in my experience. I can accompllish a really good crisp edge that way.
This is the basic outline for my belt that has pointed ends instead of \
a squared end.

I need to draft my own belt here.  I also know that the straight section between the slanted ends can be a variable.  The shorter straight end I would need to cut on the fold because I want a mirror image as one piece.
As with the seam allowance I don't think it matters.  Except of course 1 cm rocks!  For items like these, a smaller seam allowance is more handy due to less bulk.

Steps to making the belt:

Step 1

Measure the length you want your belt to be......150-170 cm

I measured the ends to be at 45 degrees from the horizontal, and I also had to make my belt 14 cm wide when I cut it, so in keeping that width the entire way, I measured out 160 cm in length.  I then measured in 5 cm on both ends and formed my 45 degree angle to both sides.  I had to do this doubled because the centre line is the fold line.
See how the symmetry is with the middle centre line?



Step 2:

Apply interfacing (fusible) to one half of the entire length of your belt.  This was easy to do since I have 2 metres of it that I just bought.


Interfacing is needed on only half of the piece on the wrong side
This angled  end is repeated on the other side.

Step 3:

Begin sewing right sides together matching angled end and long end together.  Sew all along leaving a space somewhere to turn your belt right side out.

Step 4:

Press out along the entire length pressing fold line and don't forget to clip corners to lessen the bulk if you want a crisper angled corner.

Step 5: Optional

Top stitch the entire perimeter of the belt in any colour you want.  I wanted a contrast so I picked a 50 weight YLI silk brand sewing thread in colour 182.  It is an off-white ecru colour that went nicely with the black.

Top edge stitching with YLI brand silk thread.
Awesome silk thread!!!


That's it!  The black Thai silk worked out FAB!


Here is a brooch to pin to your evening wear or whatever to glam it up!

Thanks everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment