Friday, November 1, 2013

McCalls 5972 view A.... Recycle Please!


This is another: BUILD YOUR WARDROBE piece


Well, I seem to have an obsession with window shopping.  Most of the time I look so much that my memory on the things I like won't stay, so, I made notes of the things that I see on the fly that attracts me the most and as luck would have it, Christmas is coming so


SPARKLE SPARKLE SPARKLE!!!


And, since I have billions of beads in my tote boxes, what am I saving them for...the Pope?!!!
I have to use my existing supplies!  That includes my fabric pieces and a mish mash of what I have already done and before you may yawn, yes, recycle your supplies and ideas because you never know for what situation you'll need those clothing items for.

And besides, since we can save oodles in a DIY haze it's OK to hoard a little.  Having said that, I can't get enough of being a clothing horse and yes I want to keep these!
So, since I have mentioned that, I also have tonnes of patterns I haven't used yet, and most of the time dresses in this fashion tend to repeat themselves from company to company because I suppose they advertise them for the easy type, we can devote a section to the closet for evening wear alone.

McCalls 5972 View A

I also want to make this dress in a blue suit weight wool, and yes, wool rocks, although the price doesn't.

I initially bought this pattern because I am in to the sleeveless dresses, and it is a Laura Ashley design, which I love her products because I bought two of her umbrellas, which it makes sense because it rains here alot so better get a high quality umbrella collection going.

I decided to colour block mine the first try with some poly/rayon blend stretchy knit.  I then decided to cut out a size 16 because of the stretch, and the dress bodice is lined so I also re-used some white light fabric and that is where the trouble began....

OK, first, my knit fabric worked, but unlined.  I also decided to omit the zipper but the lining messed that up, so I threw it out and installed the zipper.  Now, I had to serge my pieces and I did not at first so, back tracking is so fun!
Then, I had to finish the neckline and armholes which I serged and get this..top stitched with a zig zag stitch.  I thought it turned out fine!  Honestly, it doesn't look too old school but anyway.

The lace overlay was the easy part.  I have accomplished this 3 times now so, it shouldn't fail.  And I was right.

What I did change was adding a lace edging to the main lace fabric with a straight stitch and then zig zag stitch as a topstitch.  Delicate!

I loved this dress, but I think a woven fabric like wool, linen, silk (The holy trinity of fabrics) would make for a better dress overall, although I must say that the knit that I bought fits really well.

Front bodice
See the lace edging on the top?  FAB!!!
Beading of green-gold, red cranberry AB finish, royal blue AB finish beads


Whole Front

Back bodice.  No lace overlay
So, I really recycled my materials here, so, whatever you can do with what you have left over, it's a good idea to further save money.
And if you are thinking "Why didn't you put lace on the back bodice?"

The answer is 2 fold.  
  1. This dress can then be casual, or evening
  2. I ran out of lace fabric

It is sad though that I won't be buying this lace fabric anymore, so that is it!  I will, but perhaps other designs or colours.

Have fun, and if it's raining buy lots of umbrellas!!!!!!

Bye!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment